Medication Safety: Hospital and Doctor's Office
- Always keep an up- to-date list of all medications you take, including over the counter drugs like vitamins, herbals, and nutritional supplements.
- Include any allergies on the medication list and what happens when you take it.
- Take this list with you wherever you go.
- For more information, go to
Tips When You Are in a Hospital/Nursing Home
- Give your up-to-date medication list to the staff at the hospital or nursing home.
- Tell everyone about any allergies that you have.
- Make sure the staff check your ID bracelet before they give you any medications.
- If the medicine does not look like what you usually take ask, “Why was this given to me?” before you take it.
- Make sure you know the name of any new medicine and what it is used for.
- When you are leaving, make sure the staff goes over your medications that you are to take when you get home.
- Remember to update your medication list if there are changes.
Tips When You Are Visiting the Doctor's Office
- Give your up- to-date medication list and allergies to the doctor.
- Ask the doctor to explain any new medication they are prescribing, including what they are for and any possible side effects.
- Ask the doctor for any information sheets on the new medications.