Medication Safety at Home
- Always keep an up to date list of all medications you take including over the counter drugs such as vitamins, herbals, and nutritional supplements.
- List any allergies on the medication list and what happens when you take it.
- Take this list with you wherever you go.
- For more information, go to
- Save the Poison Help number (800-222-1222) in all of your phones.
Tips When You Are at Home
- Never crush, chew or mix the pill or capsule with liquid unless you are told by your doctor or pharmacist to do so. This may harm you.
- Get rid of all old medicines that you no longer take.
- Keep all medications and vitamins out of a child’s reach and sight. Consider storing them in a locked cabinet.
- Read the label every time you take a dose to make sure you have the right drug and that you are following the instructions.
Tips When You Are Visiting the Pharmacy
- Try to use one pharmacy to get all your medications. They will then have a complete list of all your medications that are prescribed.
- Open the bag of filled prescriptions at the pharmacy counter to verify that the medications are for you and are the correct ones.
- If you are given a liquid medicine, use only the measuring device that is provided. Ask for one if one is not provided.